Thursday, August 31, 2006

Just a thought...

I've noticed a lot of "Christians" using words and terminology that I wouldn't normally attribute to Christians. Now, dictionaries are wonderful tools, and I sometimes wonder if we Christians would be pleasing God and growing more in Him if we would actually take the time to open one up and find out what we are talking about when we use certain words.

So, I thought we would take a look at one or two of the most common words I hear (and read). I realize this may come across as being somewhat crass, but is it really worse to define a term than to use it?

Word #1:

freak-ing (freakin')

adjective

Definition: an offensive term expressing strong feelings by its similarity in sound to other offensive terms [I don't think I need to mention which terms those are] (slang )

Source: MSN Encarta Dictionary (http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/freaking.html)

Word #2:

pimp (plural pimps)

noun

Definition: somebody soliciting for prostitutes: somebody, usually a man, who finds customers for a prostitute in return for a portion of the prostitute's earnings


Source: MSN Encarta Dictionary
(http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861726253/pimp.html)


My point in all of this is that sometimes we tend to simply go with the flow, and don't take the time to think about whether or not what we are doing is right and pleasing to God.

Jesus said that we would give an account for every idle word spoken. If you still aren't convinced that these words (and many others I haven't even mentioned) are not acceptable for a Christian's vocabulary, then think about this: Would Jesus say "I laughed freaking so hard" or "I'm pimpin' now"? I think I can safely say "No, He wouldn't." It's bordering blasphemy to even ask the question.

So, in short, I would like to suggest that we Christians be an example to the world. Let's try and think about what we say before we say it. Especially in an internet setting where you have the time to type out and read over everything you write.

"But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Corinthians 3:18

Let us be transformed into the image of Christ, in all our actions, words, and thoughts.

No comments: